Things to do in Tauranga and The Bay of Plenty
Coming to Tauranga? Here you will discover a vibrant city that stretches almost right around the Tauranga Harbour. Mount Maunganui (Mauao) stands proudly on the other side of the harbour, at the end of the peninsular with a harbour beach and ocean beach on either side. There you will find white sands, surf beach, safe beaches for swimming, boating and fishing. You will see the seaside lifestyle everywhere about when wandering around Mt Maunganui. If you are looking to enjoy a relaxing holiday at the beach or you are an outdoor action enthusiast, there are many sights, attractions and things to do.
Being close to the main routes in, out and around Tauranga staying here at Bell Lodge will put you within easy reach of most of the leisure activities you can choose from here in the Bay of Plenty. Have no transport of your own; we are not too far away from public transport, or we can often help you get to the Mount, with our courtesy van. Stay with us and ask us about any activities and attractions in Tauranga or Mt Maunganui you are interested in, often we have experienced it ourselves.
Thermal Mineral Springs
Fernland Spa Thermal Mineral Springs is set in a beautiful valley of natural tree ferns and park grounds.
Experience a true geothermal oasis only 5 minutes from Bell Lodge. Pure sparkling crystal clear mineral water flows constantly through the ambient main pool and eight spacious private pools. Our ancient water is enriched with minerals deep in the earth providing the bather with a truly beneficial experience.
Open daily from 8.30am until 10pm.
The ultimate buzz on the Pacific Coast highway. Experience the exhilaration of freefall from up to 12,000 feet.
Tauranga Tandem Skydiving operates from the Tauranga Airport located just 5 minutes drive from the main beach and port. Situated on the Pacific Coast highway touring route, this small personal dropzone offers impressive views ranging from White Island through to Mount Ruapehu. Top rate facilities and friendly staff will ensure that your tandem skydive is totally safe and remembered as one of the highlights of your holiday and an experience that will be treasured forever.
A visit to Tauranga’s Classic Flyers is a must for anyone interested in aviation history, especially that of New Zealand. We are both lucky and proud to have this museum dedicated to New Zealand’s Military Aircraft along with some from other countries within our city. Classic Flyers has an extensive collection of aircraft both flying and static displays. There is related paraphernalia from WW1 & WW2, a look at commercial aviation in New Zealand and a raft of other interesting exhibits that will make this a worthwhile place to visit while staying in Tauranga. You will find interactive displays for both adults and the young ones. You can book flights in a number of different aircraft (bookings are probably best made at least one or two days in advance of arrival). You can sit, relax and enjoy a coffee and lunch at the on-site AvGas Café, find that special momento in the Museum Gift Shop. Aircraft are on display rain or shine in a purpose built hanger on Jean Batten Drive, close to Tauranga’s airport.
Situated on the banks of the Wairoa River just 10 minutes from Tauranga city. The perfect day out for the whole family. Make a day of it and enjoy activities like:
- Water Trampoline
- Climbing Wall
- Italian Pedalos, Diving boards and Swimming
- The BLOB
- NZ’s only Kayak Slide
- Tarzan Swing
- Gladiator Pole
- Recreational Kayaks and Canoes
- Slip ‘n’ Slide and Warm Thermal Pool
- Low Ropes Course
- Beach Volleyball
& Much More!
And SO MUCH MORE! ..
- Have a go at surfing at the Mount beaches.
- Walk around and to the top of Mount Maunganui, and marvel at the great views.
- Swim with the dolphins and other marine life attractions.
- Kite-surf in the clean waters.
- Try the new blo-karts for action on the wind-swept beach.
- Hire a fishing line and catch your dinner.
- Take a leisurely walk and swim in the rock pools at McLaren Falls.
- Check out the deer and horse treks at Ohara´s Wildlife Estate.
- Kayak in the ocean around the Mount.
- Visit a working kiwifruit orchard @ Kiwi360.
- Relax in hot thermal or salt water pools.
- Enjoy a days sailing in your own yacht.
- Try fishing on one of the charter boats.
- White water river rafting adventure at Wairoa River.
- Bush walks and tramps in the Kaimai Ranges for a more active holiday.
- Easter Jazz Festival, an annual attraction.
- Fun and action at the new TECT All Terrain Park.
- Why not simply relax and recharge yourself at Bell Lodge